Sunday, March 13, 2011

Kayak Mods - Keeping the Catch Cold

This weekend included no fishing expeditions.  What we did get done was to fit our new kayak fishing cooler which is a soft sided fish bag which will accommodate a much longer fish than our prior igloo cooler.  The challenge with this one was how to fit it in such a way that I can get it open without fumbling the keeper fish (normally done with the ones you really want!).

So,  I rigged a system which mounts the bag with small diameter yacht braid.  In the front, I ran the cording through some fair leads, joined the port and starboard sides and then ran it forward to my cockpit area where I can cleat it off.

Fits nicely on the Hobie Outfitter
The way I set it up was to allow for the release of the line which frees the front of the bag to be lifted up and moved over the side of the kayak.  This should provide enough flexibility for me to twist around and get a hold of the zipper and place the fish in the bag. 

Tie downs released from the cockpit, ready for the next big fish!
We will see, I will let everyone know how it performs.  If it is good, I will post more detailed setup instructions.....